- Jan 25, 2008
- Troubleshooting Your Network
- Networking Vista to Vista
- Networking Vista to a Windows XP Computer
- How to Share a Folder on XP Home to Vista
- How to Share a Folder on XP Pro with Vista
- Sharing from Vista to XP
- Networking Vista to a Mac
- Vista-to-Mac Troubleshooting Tips
- Access Vista from Your Mac
How to Share a Folder on XP Home to Vista
Now let's go find the folder on your XP computer that you want to share with your Vista computer. Let's pretend it's called Cyndi's Hits.
- Locate the Cyndi's Hits folder using My Computer or Windows Explorer.
- Right-click the Cyndi's Hits folder and choose Properties.
- In the Properties window of the folder you want to share, click the Sharing tab.
- Under the Network Sharing and Security area, if you see As a Security Measure, Windows Has Disabled Remote Access to This Computer, you'll need to run the Network Setup Wizard. Click the link below this warning to invoke it. If you don't see it, skip forward a few steps to where I talk about the Share This Folder on the Network option.
- In the wizard, click Next, and choose Yes Use the Existing Shared Connection.
- Fill in the computer description if needed and change the computer name if you want. Click next and ensure the workgroup is WORKGROUP.
- Click the option to Turn on File and Printer Sharing. Click Next twice until you see the option to Create a Network Setup Disk. You can use a floppy disk (if you have one) to create a disk that will set up the network on another Windows XP computer. Follow this if you want, but otherwise, click Just Finish the Wizard and then the Finish button.
- Right-click on Cyndi's Hits and choose Properties (if you're not returned to that dialog box). Click the radio button next to Share This Folder (see Figure 11.15). Assign a Share Name. It is how this folder will appear on other computers that browse it.
Figure 11.15 Right-click the Cyndi Lauper music folder you want to share and click the Sharing tab.
- Check the Allow Network Users to Change My Files box, if you want the ability to edit or delete files across the network.
- Click Apply and OK.
Now you should be able to browse the Cyndi's Hits folder from your Vista computer or from other machines on the network.
To complete the process, skip forward to the section "Access a Shared XP Folder with Vista."