Adding, Assigning, and Removing Tags
Tags give you an easy way to categorize your notes so that you can find them again later. When you add a tag to a note, you assign a small word or phrase that then becomes available for other notes. You can click and type a tag to add it to a note, or you can drag and drop a tag from the tag list to the note to tag it. You can also easily rename and delete tags as needed.
Tagging Your Note
Earlier in this chapter you learned about note attributes, those bits of information such as the author name or location you can add to a note you create. You can easily add tags to your note by clicking and typing the tags you want to add in the note attributes area.
- Click the note you want to tag.
- In the note attributes, click the Click to Add Tag link.
- Type the tag you want to add and press Enter.
- Type another tag if you like and press Enter.
- Evernote records the tags and displays them in the note summary in the center of the Evernote window.
Adding and Assigning New Tags
If you have a specific set of tags you want to apply to the content you add in your notebooks, you can create tags directly and then apply them to the notes you add. Evernote lists the tags you create in the Tags area in the left panel of the Evernote window.
- Click Tags to display the list of existing tags.
- Right-click the Tags area.
- Click Create Tag. The Create Tag dialog box appears.
- Type a name for the new tag.
- Click OK. Evernote adds the tag to the list in the left panel.
- Assign the new tag to your notes by dragging the tag to the note and releasing the mouse button.
Removing and Deleting Tags
The possibility exists that you will assign tags to notes and then think better of your choice. Luckily you can easily remove tags you’ve assigned by mistake. You may also want to delete tags you no longer need. Both procedures are simple.
- Click the note that includes the tag you want to remove.
- In the note attributes, select the tag you want to delete.
- Click the X to the right of the tag name. Evernote removes the tag from the note.
- When you want to delete a tag completely so that it is removed from all notes that include it, right-click it in the Tags area of the left panel.
- Click Delete. The Confirm Action dialog box appears, letting you know that continuing this action will remove the tag and all sub-tags associated with it. Click Delete Tag to remove the tag, and it disappears from the Tags list on the left side of the Evernote window.