Using MLB.TV on Xbox 360
- May 25, 2012
MLB.TV's popular live video streaming app has been available on a variety of platforms for the past two years, and is finally available on the Xbox 360. Baseball fans on Microsoft's best-selling console now have access to all available out-of-market regular season games and several advanced features that go well beyond what's provided in even the best television broadcasts.
In this article, I will look at the MLB.TV app's requirements, discuss available options, and show how to maximize its usage with either the controller or Kinect.
To use MLB.TV for Xbox LIVE, the following are required:
- An Xbox LIVE Gold membership
- At least 100MB of available storage space
- The MLB.TV app
There are two basic membership types that apply to the MLB.TV app: free and MLB.TV Premium. Free does not require an MLB.TV login and lets you set favorite teams and watch highlights from both the 2012 and 2011 seasons. A paid MLB.TV Premium subscription gets you the following additional benefits:
- HD-quality video of all home and away broadcasts for every out-of-market team (to find out which club's live games will be blacked-out in your specific location, check here: http://www.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/blackout.jsp)
- Ability to pause and rewind live games with DVR-like controls
- Mosaic View, offering a split-screen view of two different games
- Similar MLB.TV Premium subscription features usable on a wide range of other set top box, mobile, and computing devices (see the full listing here: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?content=products&c_id=mlb)
At present, subscription options run $124.99 per year, or $24.99 monthly. If you purchase a subscription on your Xbox 360, only the annual subscription option is available. If you want to pay monthlywhich is a good option, for instance, if you don't know if your favorite team will be any good this yearregister or sign in via web browser at http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=xbox and select the per-month option. All major credit cards are accepted.
If you ever want to cancel, you can do so via the MLB.com website or e-mail email@example.com before your next billing period. Keep in mind that annual subscriptions are set to renew annually on or about March 1st at the prior year's regular yearly price.