- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing This PC
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Opening and Viewing This PC
The This PC window is the starting point to access every disk, folder, and file on your PC computer. You can access the This PC window from File Explorer. The This PC window displays local folders (New!) and several types of local, removable, and network drives. Drives and folders are represented by icons. Each drive is assigned a drive letter, denoted with parentheses and a colon, such as Local Disk (C:), to make it easier to identify. Typically, the floppy is drive A, the hard (also known as local) disk is drive C, and the CD or DVD is drive D. If your PC computer includes additional drives, your PC computer assigns them letters in alphabetical order. Once you open more than one drive or folder, you can use buttons on the Ribbon to help you move between folders.
Open and View This PC
- In the desktop, click or tap the File Explorer icon on the taskbar.
Click or tap This PC (New!) in the Navigation pane.
- In the Start screen, you can also click or tap Apps view button, and then click or tap This PC.
- Click or tap a drive to select it.
- To review the drive details, click or tap the Details pane button on the View tab.
- Double-click or double-tap the drive to open it.
Click or tap the Back or Forward button or the Up button on the toolbar to return or move to a previously visited window.
When you’re done, click or tap the Close button.