An Almanac of Pimps, Orcs and Lightsabers for March
- Mar 3, 2006
- The Saint Patty’s Day Massacre!
- God of War: System Seller Extraordinaire
- Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich: Proving Superhero Games Don’t Suck
- Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30: Once More Unto the Breach
- TimeSplitters: Future Perfect: Where’s the Love?
- Devil May Cry 3: Dante’s Awakening: Difficult Is an Understatement
- LEGO Star Wars: Even Jar-Jar Is Cool in Block Form
- The Matrix Online: Too Little, Too Late?
- Stealth Action Games: The Best Sneaker Series in the Biz
- Silent Hunter III: Return of a Classic
- PSP Game Explosion!: Top Shelf PSP Launch Titles
- Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat: Monkeys and Drums—For Joy, For Joy
- MLB 2006 Versus MLB 2K5: Baseball’s Best of the Rest
- Ultra-Violent Games: The Ten Bloodiest Games Ever
- Unreal Tournament 2004: It’s All About the Mods
- Whiplash: Closet Classic (1996)
- Metacritic’s Worst Xbox Games: Ten Titles That Embarrass the Box
- X-COM: UFO Defense: Closet Classic (1994)
- The V-Smile: Training the Gamers of Tomorrow
- The Hotplate Gourmet: Hey, It’s Food!...Sort Of
- Prince of Persia: Sands of Time: Bargain Bin Special
The Saint Patty’s Day Massacre!
God of War thundered onto the scene in March ‘05, shocking gamers with its ultra-violent and wickedly fun gameplay. God of War was a reason for Xbox fans to dust off that PS2.
Of course, stealth fans sank their collective teeth into another top-shelf Splinter Cell Game as Chaos Theory shipped and lived up to its name, as did the Freedom Force sequel, Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich. Shooter fans were plunged, yet again, into World War II in Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 and despite the tired genre, it was so much fun no one seemed to care.
Finally, gamers finally saw the new Sony PSP handheld in action with games such as Ridge Racer, WipEout Pure, and Lumines.
Overall, it wasn’t a bad month.
Flop of the Month:
- PSP Busts—Although there were some quality PSP launch titles released in March there were an equal number of poor releases for the new platform like Spider-Man 2, World Tour Soccer, Dynasty Warriors, and Gretzky Hockey. Weak games like this put a damper on the PSP’s launch.