Absolute Beginner's Guide to eBay, 5th Edition
Absolute Beginner’s Guide to eBay®
No prior eBay experience necessary!
Absolute Beginner’s Guide to eBay will show you how to successfully bid and sell on eBay, the world’s largest online auction site. eBay expert Michael Miller walks you through the process of buying and selling any type of item on eBay. You’ll learn how to safely place bids, win auctions with last-minute snipes, buy fixed-priced items in eBay Stores and Half.com, and use My eBay to track all your auction activity. His eBay tips and tricks will also show you how to create great-looking item listings and safely collect credit card payments via PayPal. Absolute Beginner’s Guide to eBay reveals all the secrets necessary to become a thriving eBay user–whether you bid or auction one item a month or a thousand!
Who knew how simple eBay can be?
Absolute Beginner’s Guide to eBay will have you bidding and selling in online auctions in no time! Here’s a small sample of what you’ll find inside:
- Learn how to place a last-second “snipe” bid–and win the auction without paying too much
- Discover how to buy fixed-price items on eBay without bidding
- Find out how to create eye-catching auction listings, complete with pictures
- Learn how to use PayPal to accept credit card payments
- Discover how to pack different types of items–and ship them out cheaply and safely
- Learn how to design cool-looking listings with eBayTurbo Lister–and track all your auctions with
- eBay Selling Manager
- Find out how to find a Trading Assistant to sell your items for you
- Uncover the secrets of successful eBay buyers and sellers
Michael Miller is a top eBay seller and a successful and prolific author. He has a reputation for practical, real-world advice and an unerring empathy for the needs of his readers. Miller has written more than 75 nonfiction books over the past two decades, including Easy eBay, eBay Auction Templates Starter Kit, Tricks of the eBay Masters, and Making a Living from Your eBay Business. He has been interviewed about eBay by Family Circle magazine, Black Enterprise magazine, and numerous radio stations across the country. Miller’s eBay user ID is trapperjohn2000.
User Level: Beginning
50 of 50 people found the following review helpful
Learn how to satisfy your urge to bargain,
This review is from: Absolute Beginner's Guide to eBay (Absolute Beginner's Guides (Que)) (Paperback)The fact that ...e-Bay, one of the few other successful e-businesses does as well. ...e-Bay satisfies the fundamental human desire to bargain and make money. It is ironic to think that although the Internet was considered to be the ultimate in niche market opportunities, it has been those two general human characteristics that have driven the most successful e-businesses.
If you have been feeling the desire to gratify your urge to buy and sell, but have been hesitant to do so out of ignorance, then this book is for you. In plain, clear, extremely non-technical language, Miller explains what e-Bay is, how to get started and if all goes well, how to ramp up to being a major player. The only prerequisite is a fundamental knowledge of the world wide web and how to surf from site to site. This includes the basics of filling out and submitting forms.
Miller is also honest about some of the optional features offered by e-Bay. Additional options such as extra and longer listings... Read more
36 of 36 people found the following review helpful
Best thing I've found about succeeding on eBay . . .,
This review is from: Absolute Beginner's Guide to eBay (Absolute Beginner's Guides (Que)) (Paperback)I've been a small-time bookseller on eBay since shortly after it started up, and it took awhile to figure out just what I was doing. I wish this book had been available then! Actually, it's become more difficult -- not easier -- ... ... Miller does a good job of explaining the best way to approach things, dealing with the eBay Establishment, handling deadbeats and frauds (buyers *and* sellers), playing the feedback game, and trying to decide if you can actually make a living from this thing. (Probably not for most booksellers, not without a real-world location to work from.) The chapter of shipping tips is especially worth reading. Of the half-dozen recent books about eBay I've read recently, this is probably the best.
17 of 17 people found the following review helpful
the best of the bunch,
This review is from: Absolute Beginner's Guide to eBay (3rd Edition) (Paperback)I have a few books on ebay and this one is the easiest most user friendly book i have encountered. Love the cartoons and the bit of tongue-in-cheek fun along the way. It is well organized and actually fun to read.
› See all 10 customer reviews...
Online Sample Chapter
Table of Contents
I: Welcome to eBay
1. Getting to Know the eBay Marketplace
2. Browsing and Searching for Merchandise
II: Buying on eBay
3. Bidding in Online Auctions
4. Sniping to Win
5. Using Bid Assistant and Other Bidding Tools
6. Buying Fixed-Price Items
7. Paying for Your Purchase--and Waiting for It to Arrive
8. Buying Safely
9. Secrets of Successful Bidders
III: Selling on eBay
10. What to Do Before You Sell
11. Selling Items via Online Auction
12. Selling Items at a Fixed Price
13. Creating More Effective Item Listings
14. Using Pictures in Your Listings
15. Accepting PayPal and Other Methods of Payment
16. After the Sale: Concluding the Transaction
17. Packing and Shipping Your Items--Cheaply and Safely
18. Dealing with Non-Paying Buyers
19. Secrets of Successful Sellers
IV: Becoming a Power Seller
20. Using eBay's Selling Tools
21. Using Other Selling Tools
22. Selling Internationally
23. Opening a Trading Assistant Business
24. Making a Living from eBay
V: Participating in the eBay Community
25. Managing Your eBay Activity with My eBay
26. Creating Your Own eBay Identity
27. Communicating with Other Users in Groups, Boards, and Blogs
28. Reading and Writing Reviews and Guides
29. Researching eBay Sales
30. Online Classified Advertising with Kijiji
This book includes free shipping!
Get access to thousands of books and training videos about technology, professional development and digital media from more than 40 leading publishers, including Addison-Wesley, Prentice Hall, Cisco Press, IBM Press, O'Reilly Media, Wrox, Apress, and many more. If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months. That's a total savings of $199.