Printing Index Cards
Although Scrivener provides great flexibility in the Corkboard, there is still something about the feel of holding a stack of physical index cards in your hands and quickly arranging them in various ways. You can print index cards directly from the Corkboard to bring the virtual into physical form.
The settings for printing index cards are optimized to work with Avery Perforated Index Card stock, but you can print on plain paper or card stock and cut the cards yourself.
Before printing index cards, ensure that the virtual index cards contain the proper titles and synopses you want to print. If a synopsis is too long for a 3×5 index card, the additional text prints on subsequent cards. If this is the desired behavior, you’re all set. If you want each virtual index card to be limited to a single physical index card, however, you may need to edit your synopses to fit. If an index card is displaying an image rather than text on the Corkboard, the image is used when printing. If this is not what you intend, use the Inspector to change the item to the synopsis text view.
Before you print index cards, you need to set up the print options by doing the following:
- Go to File, Page Setup.
- In the Page Setup dialog box, click the Settings drop-down list and select Scrivener. The window changes to display margin settings.
- Click Options below the list of margin settings.
- In the Print Options dialog box, click Index Cards in the center, as shown in Figure 6.11.
Figure 6.11The Print Options dialog box displays a sample preview of your printed index cards based on the options you select.
- Choose from the following options:
- Include Titles: Selected by default, this prints the document title at the top of each card.
- Include Card Numbers: This includes the card number with the title.
- Ignore Cards with Titles Only: If a card contains only a document title and no synopsis, the card will not be printed.
- Highlight Titles with Label Color: Selected by default, this uses the label color in the title. The label name is also added in parentheses after the title.
- Include Keywords: This adds keywords below the title. Keywords are underlined and separated by commas on the card.
- Print Cutting Guides: Selected by default, this adds dashed lines around the card to guide cutting them with scissors or a cutting block. This option is not necessary if you are printing on perforated card stock.
- Force Landscape Orientation: If you are printing to regular sheets of paper or card stock instead of perforated index cards, you can opt to print in landscape orientation. This increases the number of cards per page from three to four.
- Embolden Titles: Selected by default, this prints document titles in bold typeface.
- Print Using Font: This allows you to override the Corkboard fonts you set in the preferences window and print in a different font and font size.
- Click OK to close the Print Options window.
- Click OK to close the Page Setup window.
Once the print options are configured, you are ready to print your cards. If you are printing on perforated index cards or another specialty paper, load the stock into your printer’s paper tray. To print: